Search this site

HISTORY DAY 2016

“Hearts, Homes & the Holy Spirit: Mission and Ministry in North Carolina Mill Villages, 1890-1940”

The stories and contributions of churchwomen and “women workers” will be featured

Saturday, April 9, 2016    10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
258 West Franklin Blvd.
Gastonia, NC

 

Mary Sudman Donovan, Ph.D.

This year’s keynote speaker for HISTORY DAY 2016 is a historian and author of several books, including A Different Call: Women’s Ministries in the Episcopal Church, 1850-1920. Mary co-founded the Episcopal Women’s History Project in 1980. Through her writings and presentations she has encouraged men and women alike to honor the many unsung contributions that churchwomen have made to the Episcopal Church through the years. A good number of “women workers” will be featured.

 

ST. JOHN’S MISSION SCHOOL, HIGH SHOALS, 1908

Now in the Library of Congress National Child Labor Committee collection, photographer Lewis W. Hine’s caption read: “Not supported by the Mill company, but we are always on good terms with them, said the Sister in charge.” More information about this school and many other mill mission efforts carried on by faithful female workers will be featured.

 

ERWIN FAMILY OF BURKE COUNTY

Many members of the Erwin family had direct ties to both cotton mills and Episcopal churches in Burlington, Durham, Erwin, Cooleemee and Morganton. Their stories and those of other families and individuals will be featured. Photo from the Rev. Norvin C. Duncan’s Pictorial History of the Episcopal Church in North Carolina 1701-1964.


“THE ROCK CHURCH” - ST. LUKE’S, SPRAY (NOW EDEN)

The Carolina Churchman ran this photo in September 1924 to show progress on the new church in the mill town of Spray. Earlier in the year the District Woman’s Auxiliary had met in Spray and decided to help by each taking a rock to the building site. “It was a thrilling experience and all resolved to give liberally and pray fervently.” More stories of financial and spiritual support of early mill missions will be featured.

 

ACTIVE AT HOLY COMFORTER, BURLINGTON

In this photo loaned by Betsy and Edmund R. Gant of Burlington, Corinna Morehead Erwin Gant (sitting) and her daughter, Corinna Harper Gant, represent the many women from mill-owning families who played a vital role in the early parish work of the Woman’s Auxiliary. In the 1930s the Auxiliary branch at Holy Comforter was instrumental in supporting mill work at both Calvary Chapel, Burlington, and St. Andrew’s, Haw River. Accounts of work in other locations will be featured as part of the upcoming HISTORY DAY 2016 on Saturday, April 9.